Who are you now? How do you define yourself in your new role as a widow? Not suprisingly, other young widows have similar challenges and obstacles in their lives. That is why we recommend finding support systems as you reclaim your identity.
The sense of community among young widows can be so powerful, and so empowering. Statistically, we are insignificant. According to the U.S. Census Bureau in March 2000, men and women between the ages of 20 and 49 comprise about one million people - less than 7% of widows, and less than 0.005% of the population. That is why it is so difficult - and why we need to work so hard - to find each other. You can find support by searching the Support Groups list for a meeting in your area, or by searching the YWBB directory by location for young widows in your area.
Groups serving the specific needs of young widows will be listed here. Please see the geographical areas listed below. If you don't see your group listed on this page, please contact us so we can add it for future visitors from your area.
Click here for a listing of national Bereavement Groups for grieving children and families.
Support Groups by State
- Support Group at The Cove in Meriden, CT in Meriden, CT
- Support group for recently widowed people and younger widows/ers at
Roswell UMC in Georgia.
- Click here for Chicago-area Calendar of Grief Support Groups
- Hospice of Baltimore sponsors several support groups and workshops.
They are planning to form a young widow(er)s group in the spring.
Phone: (443) 849-8200
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center offers the Phoenix program through
its oncology center, which involves weekly meetings for eight weeks and
then follow-up support meetings once a month.
Phone: (443) 849-2961
- There is a support group for young widows and widowers meets weekly
in Andover MA on Wednesdays from 7 - 9 pm.
- Support Group at NCJW Center for Women - young widows peer support
group and Rainbows for grieving school aged children.
513 W. Mt. Pleasant Avenue, Livingston, NJ 07039.
Phone: (973) 994-4994
- Support Group at Haven Hospice at JFK Medical center in Edison, NJ.
Mandi Zucker, LSW facilitates a Young Spouses Bereavement Group that
meets monthly for 2 years after a loss of a spouse.
Phone: (732) 321-7769.
- Samaritan Hospice (Marlton, NJ) offers several free grief support
groups to those who have lost a spouse at a young age and to those grieving
the loss of a same-sex partner.
- Support Group at the Jewish Community Center (JCC) in West Orange.
Phone: (973) 736-3200 x238
- Support Group at Ridgewood Family Counseling Service, 148 Prospect
Phone: (201) 445-7015
- NJ Self-Help Group Clearinghouse - If you are interested in finding
or forming a young widows self help group in NJ, email the address above
or call 1-800-367-6274 from anywhere in NJ.
They provide information on the following young widow groups in NJ:
-"Starting Over" (age 45 and under) meets in Hamilton Square in Mercer County.
-"Early Endings" young widowed persons in Marlton in Burlington County.
-Young Widows' Support Group that meets in Toms River in Ocean County.
-"Widowed Early" (age 59 and under) social group in Randolph in Morris County
- Support Group at the Jewish Community Center (JCC).
Call Myra at (212) 399-2320 x211
- Support Group at the Ackerman Family Institute on E.78th Street.
Call Marsha at (212) 879-4900
- Support group in NYC, contact Susan Amato, LCSW at (212) 371-0886
- Support Group at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs in Centerport, Long Island.
The group meets Wednesdays at 7:30pm.
Phone: (631) 757-8184
- Support Group at the Bereavement Center of Westchester.
Phone: (914) 961-2818
- To Live Again (T.L.A.) National mutual help organization covering the
greater Delaware Valley for widowed women and men supporting one another
through the grief cycle. Including monthly meetings, social programs and
chapter development assistance, Reach-out program for newly bereaved,
Phone: (610) 353-7740
- The Young Widow and Widower Support Group at the Upper Main Line YMCA
in Berwyne, PA meets two Tuesdays/month, September through June.
Contact: Sandra King @ (610) 896-5720
- Support Group at Elkins Park Hospital. The Young Widows and Widowers
Group is for those under age 50 and is organized by the Counseling Network
for Loss & Transition.
Phone: (215) 624-8190
- Samaritan Hospice (Marlton, NJ) offers several free grief support groups
to those who have lost a spouse at a young age and to those grieving the
loss of a same-sex partner.
- Support group in Irving, Texas for young widows in the DFW area. It
meets one Tuesday per month beginning January 13, 2004.
For more information contact email@example.com
- Our organization for Young Widow or Widowers (YWOW) is located in Southeastern
Virginia. This area includes Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth and Williamsburg.
© Copyright 2002-2011 by Young Widow - Chapter Two